Four Commitments for 2017…
How do you prepare for the New Year? The Daily Infographic in an article titled, "New Year Traditions from Around the World" reveal some interesting New Year's traditions:
- In Siberia, it is tradition to dive into a frozen lake while holding a tree trunk, which is placed underneath the ice.
- In a traditional festival from Burma, people splash water on one another to start the New Year with a purified soul.
- Armenian mothers bake special bread which they knead with good luck and good wishes.
- In the Philippines homeowners open all their doors and windows on New Year's Eve in order to allow negative energy to leave and good energy to enter.
- Spanish tradition holds that eating 12 grapes just before the clock chimes midnight will bring good fortune for all 12 months of the upcoming year.
- One New Year's custom in Russia is to write a wish for the upcoming year on a piece of paper, then to burn the paper and place the ashes in a glass of champagne, which needs to be consumed right before the New Year is rung in for the wish to come true.
- Residents in Johannesburg, South Africa throw old appliances and furniture out the window, representing the old adage "out with the old and in with the new."
- Brazilians wear white clothing, a custom meant to bring good luck for the upcoming year. This is often accompanied by a trip to the beach to throw flowers in the sea while making a wish.
The fact is, every new year people all over the globe are looking for some “good luck” charm or tradition to make their life better, more satisfying and more fulfilling. So how will you prepare for this New Year?
Let me suggest that you face this coming year with several Biblical, personal and practical commitments. Over the next four weeks, beginning today, I will share with you 4 Life Changing commitments and challenge you to make them your own. I can assure you that if you take them seriously, your life will never be the same. Today, as you leave you will receive a magnet with a reminder of the first of these commitments.
Thanks for a great year… As it looks right now, we did it! We finished the year slightly in the black for the first time in over a decade. That includes giving approximately $240,000 to missions, plus you gave an additional $120,000 above and beyond the budget to our November world missions offering as well. I am so proud of you. Thanks for your generosity to the Kingdom work here at and through Ridgecrest. Let’s do it again in 2017.
The Weight of Your Words… book study begins tonight at 6:00 PM. I thoroughly enjoy leading this special annual evening worship study. If you do not have a copy of the book, be sure to pick one at a special reduced price of $10 in the Welcome Center. Also, join us as we read through the Bible in 2017. You can purchase a “One Year Bible” designed to guide you all the way through the scriptures this year… it is available at the reduced rate of just $10. These are great resources to help in your faith walk for 2017.
In this New Year remember, God is always trying to take you someplace new. I love being your pastor!!!
For God’s Glory Alone,