Bless The Name of God…
At our recent prayer summit, I talked about how we can bless the name of the Lord. David said in Psalm 26:12 “…in the great assembly I will bless the Lord.” In Psalm 34:1 he said, “I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth.” And in Psalm 145:1-4 he said, “I will extol you, my God and King, and bless your name forever and ever. Every day I will bless you and praise your name forever and ever. Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable. One generation shall commend your works to another, and shall declare your mighty acts.”
Just this past week a man asked me the question, “Pastor, I know we all want God to bless us, but how do we bless God?” What a great question and what an important question. The passages above make it clear that we are not just to receive blessings from God, we are to bring blessings to Him as well. “Who am I to bless God?” you might ask… well, you are His creation and if you know God you have been purchased by the precious blood of Christ. So let me share with you some ways that you can bless God.
- You Bless God when you Believe His Word… you are showing Him that you take what He says seriously. “Blessed are you, O Lord; teach me your statutes!” (Psalm 119:12)
- You Bless God when you Obey Him… obedience is the manifestation of your belief. When you obey God, you are blessing Him because you are adjusting your life according to His will. “Let my soul live and praise you, and let your rules help me.” (Psalm 119:175)
- You Bless God when you Worship and Praise Him… worship is the exaltation of God’s nature and character. In worship you are declaring His preeminence over all things. This is pleasing to God and it is restorative to our souls. “Praise the Lord! For it is good to sing praises to our God; for it is pleasant, and a song of praise is fitting.” (Psalm 147:1)
- You Bless God when you Tell others of His great Works… when you speak of God’s work in your life and in the world to those around you and to the generations before you, you bless Him! “But we your people, the sheep of your pasture, will give thanks to you forever; from generation to generation we will recount your praise.” (Psalm 79:13)
- You Bless God when you Serve Others… ministry done for others on behalf of Christ is ministry done to Christ. “And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’” (Matthew 25:40, ESV)
- You Bless God when you Fear Him… God is worthy of our reverence and He is pleased and blessed by our submission to His greatness. “His delight is not in the strength of the horse, nor his pleasure in the legs of a man, but the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his steadfast love.” (Psalm 147:10–11)
That’s just a few ways that you and I can “Bless” God… so how are you doing? Are you blessing God with your life? Richard Foster wrote, “Adoration is the spontaneous yearning of the heart to worship, honor, magnify, and bless God. We ask nothing but to cherish him. We seek nothing but his exaltation. We focus on nothing but his goodness.” And right now, at this moment we have the opportunity to bless His name. Let’s put our hearts together as His body and do just that. And remember, God is always trying to take us someplace new. I love being your Pastor!
For God’s Glory Alone,