Last week I gave you a list of four books that every Christian needs to read… it is a good starting place for summer reading. Additionally, I have included some books below that I think you might enjoy as you make your way through the next couple of months. While you most likely will not read them all, try and pick at least one from each category below, then discipline yourself to read some each day—half hour to an hour if possible. Long ago I began making time allotments in my daily schedule to read. You’ll be amazed at how many books you can read with a little reading discipline each day.
Mortimer J. Adler said, “In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you.” So, without further au due, here is my recommended summer reading list. It should be noted that I am not endorsing every bit of content in each book. By the way, most of these are available through Amazon or Christian Book Distributors. For space’s sake, I am only listing the book name, author and publisher, without my commentary on each.
Biographical: (You should always be reading a biography of someone. Read classic bios by men and women who have completed their course with God)
- Ron Dunn by Ron Owens. (B&H Publishers)
- L. Moody—A Life by Kevin Belmonte (Moody Press)
- Saturdays with Billy—My Friendship with Billy Graham by Don Wilton (Thomas Nelson)
- Billy Graham—The Man I Knew by Greg Laurie (Salem Books)
- In Their Own Words by Tom Elliff (B&H)
Fiction: (I read only a few fiction writers, two of which I have listed here… If you are a John Grisham fan, you will love Randy Singer. He is a bestseller, a friend, a former trial lawyer—having tried cases before the Supreme Court, and now a Pastor in Virginia. Joel Rosenberg’s novels are to be read sequentially and so I have listed them in their proper order)
- By Reason of Insanity by Randy Singer. (Tyndale)
- Directed Verdict by Randy Singer. (Water Brook)
- The Third Target by Joel Rosenberg. (Tyndale)
- The First Hostage by Joel Rosenberg. (Tyndale)
- Without Warning by Joel Rosenberg. (Tyndale)
Christian Living: (These books will encourage, inspire and strengthen you in your walk with God)
- Waiting on God by Charles Stanley. (Howard)
- Total Forgiveness by R.T. Kendall. (Charisma House)
- The Best of A.W. Tozer. Compiled by Warren Wiersbe. (Moody)
- The Pathway to God’s Presence by Tom Elliff. (CLC)
The “Age” and Culture: (These books speak to the present age and the last days.)
- When The Lion Roars by Carl Gallups. (WND Books)
- Carpe Diem Redeemed by Os Guinness. (IVP)
- Religious Liberty In Crisis by Ken Starr. (Encounter Books)
- The Truth About COVID-19 by Dr. Joseph Mercola. (Chelsea Green)
(A word about this book, you may not agree with all of its content or conclusions, but it is packed with research and helpful information related to COVID. It is a Wall Street Journal bestseller.
Dr. Mercola is a highly credentialed family physician.)
- Hope for This Present Crisis by Michael Youssef. (Front Line)
Why not make it a goal to read at least one book from each category this summer. Time to get started—enjoy and grow!!! And remember, God is always trying to take you someplace new. I love being your Pastor.
For God’s Glory Alone,